Professional possessing a valuable blend of business management and hands-on technical skills, with real-life job experience to deliver successful projects that add measurable value to the organization. Industry experience encompasses network operations, service delivery, IT Infrastructure systems/software integration, mobile communications, 802.11 wireless, high-speed Internet, RF satellite transmission, IPvideo, Lan/Wan data networking. Career positions have enabled me to promote project solutions leveraging PMI project management methods and formal PMBOK training, coupled with applied ITIL management principles.
Project Management Skills
- Over 10 years of practical experience managing various sizes of complex IT projects – systems implementation, integration, software applications, network capacity, service assurance, new technology solution deployments, process improvement, data center expansion, business requirements analysis
- History of successful project completion (on-time, on-budget, objectives met) satisfying all PMI project development lifecycle phases (Initiation through Closure) - requirements definition, resource estimation, timelines, risk plan/analysis and budget forecast. Deliver cost-benefit analysis and business case ROI.
- Adept at interacting and communicating with all levels of the organization. Implement detailed communication plan - status reports, issues log, WBS, project plans, technical design specifications
- Conducting and leading technical research and analysis, selecting and recommending solutions. Soliciting & sourcing – analysis of vendor quotes, proposals, and service agreements
- Practical risk mitigation and active constraint management; Capex & Opex management, ROI analysis, business case development, business and technical requirements definition
- Possess expert team-building and leadership skills – coaching, mentoring and attaining group consensus
- Experienced in managing technical personnel and contractor/partner selection and oversight
- Comfortable multitasking and working independently within tight timelines in stressful environments
- Motivated to succeed in functional or matrix enterprise environments, supporting the PMO.
Project Portfolio Successes
- Refresh network wireless infrastructure for globally located campus facilities. Encompassing the consolidation of Cisco distribution and access switches (300+ for one site alone), and introduction of centralized WAP management for 1,000’s of devices at Office & Plant facilities. Global program/project management across N. America, W. Europe, CEMEEA, Latin America, APAC. Internationally diverse project teams and key resources. Budget plan in excess of $5 million. All project management phases, resource allocation, scheduling, active risk management, monitoring & control, budget forecasting and management, change management, service delivery, operational plan development, knowledge transfer, logistics and scheduling, hands-on technical installation oversight. Communication with Customer management team, Program Director, PMO, contracted technical support vendors. Identify new business opportunities supporting account growth objectives. Extremely comfortable serving in both tactical and strategic capacity (onsite and remote). Dynamic and fast-paced environment with 16+ open projects.
- Large multi-faceted $9M project to modernize the telecommunications switch/network and support EvDO/3G data services. A high risk project, critical to the success of the company (revenue)and championed by the executive level.
- Implement AAA and PCRF nodes; cutover to new AAA in a production environment – analyze the technology aspects, vendor proposals, negotiate terms, purchase, maintain internal WBS and coordinate closely with external vendor resources, change and risk management to meet critical delivery dates, departmental resource coordination, extensive reporting and communications. Integration & UAT.
- Upgrade LAN/WAN backbone capacity to 10 Gbps, Cisco & Juniper layer 2/3 network devices
- Acceptance of nearly 700 transport T1s from vendor in preparation for first data call (3G)
- Coordinated resources, managing tasks with Sprint to facilitate nationwide 3G data roaming
- Support new customer rate plans and integrate required application provisioning interface
- Reduction of network faults triggered in surveillance and performance systems by 68% ($100k annual). This correlated directly to potential reduction in FTE requirements and/or ability for management to reallocate available resources to other critical tasks.
- Improve the relevancy of internal notifications distributed internally to customer care, sales, management and executives. Process and procedures created; web-based portal implemented to standardize messaging and provide a historical view; training material and classes delivered to stakeholders.
- Implementation of custom AAA software solution to enable roaming data traffic shaping, minimizing inter-carrier expense by 25%. Solution supported engineering and sales initiatives.
- Maximized existing NOC talent efficiency through HR capability analysis, restructuring and external staff augmentation. Project required business plan development, vendor capability analysis, extensive SLA service definition/alignment, an assessment period to determine quality of service before transition and closure. 15% annual cost savings realized, in addition to Operations risk exposure.
- Coordinated with data repository owners and CTO to develop a realistic network capacity forecast model to manage subscriber growth against the need to increase system licensing and network bandwidth demands. Directly supported marketing and sales campaign strategies to promote growth.
- Improved overall quality of NOC services delivered, and secondarily, staff morale lift. Analyzed ongoing support trends, categorizing and weighting primary job responsibilities. Then facilitated the implementation of a group performance scorecard backed by very objective, measureable job requirements. Management was also able to identify individual performance deficiencies through standardized reporting templates. Within 5 months QoS delivery improved 18%.
- Led multiple evolutions of the Remedy incident management system to effectively support cross-functional user requirements across engineering, IT, Operations, and customer help desks. Deliverables included major application upgrades, intelligence to automate dispositions, mobile device integration
Program/Sr. Project Manager
Proctor & Gamble / British Telecom Americas, Cincinnati, OH 04/2013- Present
Sr. Manager providing global oversight of multi-million dollar wireless and core network infrastructure upgrade/refresh. Responsible for all phases of project planning, resource & budget management, supervision of international PM activities, Customer SDM and SRM functions, logistics and network asset management, coordination amongst multiple vendors, engineers and technicians. Proctor & Gamble (Fortune 50) sites are campuses including office and manufacturing plant locations servicing thousands of end users. Equipment includes several models of Cisco WAPs (lightweight), 5508 controllers, and 3750 switches. The role necessitated hands-on team leadership, site visits, global cultural sensitivity, service delivery, functional and operations skills.
Director of Operations
Revol Wireless, Cleveland, OH 08/2010- 01/2013
Departmental manager of wireless CDMA (EvDO 3G, 1xRTT) network systems engineering and 24x7 NOC operations groups. Accomplish strategic and tactical service support, delivery, infrastructure, design & planning, deployment, operations and technical support functions. IP data core capacity planning, data analysis, reporting, and team development. Ericsson switch maintenance, upgrades, configuration, maintain 1300+ T1 site circuits.
Southwestern College, Cincinnati, OH 04/2008- 08/2010
Deliver accredited IT networking, database, troubleshooting, and algebra adult classes in a traditional classroom environment. Develop instructional lesson plans, learning assessments, reinforcement exercises.
Sr. Manager – Network Management & Process Support
Director – Element Management Center
Cincinnati Bell Telephone (CBT), Cincinnati, OH 02/2001- 05/2009
Plan, organize, coordinate and oversee activities related to the delivery of data network services. Coordinate with customers to identify technology needs, analyze solutions, manage and prioritize project tasks, resources, and execution timeframes. Administered Cincinnati Bell Wireless GSM OSS and data network NMS systems. Served on the key stakeholder integration team when CBW assumed operations from AT&T. Admin of 32 NMS systems.
Network Operations Center (NOC) Manager
Cidera, Inc., Laurel, MD 03/2000-01/2001
24x7 surveillance of remotely deployed customer premise equipment, core data network, cached content delivery.
US Army Space Command, Ft. Detrick, MD
Tactical and strategic network control of DSCS III GEO satellites and maintenance of related earth terminals.
Honorable Discharge, Top Secret Clearance. US Army, Staff Sergeant (E-6)
M.S. – Information Systems, University of Phoenix
B.S - Management (Cum Laude), Upper Iowa University
Professional and Technical
- PMP/PMI/PMBOK formal training
- ITSM, ITIL, SDLC Methods
- LAN/WAN – VPN, BGP, OSPF, Cisco, Juniper
- Relational database/data warehouse BI analysis
- LAN/WAN – VPN, BGP, OSPF, Cisco & Juniper
- RH Linux, Solaris, MS, SNMP, TCP/IP, HTTP, Visio, MySQL & Oracle RDBMS, VoIP, MPLS, SAN, VMware, MS Project, VPN, Crystal Reports, Bytemobile, F5 BigIP, Cisco PGW VoIP, Cisco FWSM, SolarWinds, HP Openview, Remedy, 802.11x WiFi networks
Affiliations and Achievements
- PMP Certification (in-progress)
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certified
- Tri County College Advisory Board - Cleveland
- TCP/IP Network Analyst Certification (ICCP)
- Network Management Certification (ICCP)
- Phi Theta Kappa – National Honor Fraternity
- MCSE/MCSA Exams #70-270/290 Adjunct Instructor
- SQL DBAdmin (MySQL, Oracle) – Adjunct Instructor